Death by Chatuchak

Because I am such a thrifting junkie, it came as no surprise that I almost passed out at Chatuchak Market in Bangkok, Thailand.



Dubbed as the world's biggest market, there is talk that it houses 9,000 stalls selling various goodies. In fact, the market is divided into several zones: used clothes, clothes and accessories, antiques, furniture, handicrafts, animals, pets, souvenirs and a whole lot more. It is accessible via BTS (skytrain) although you do have to walk a short distance through the Chatuchak Park in order to get to the market.

It was an exhausting but extremely fulfilling adventure. I first thought people to be nuts; imagine, they were carrying lightweight luggage into the market! But after 3 hours of intense shopping, my shoulders were raw from the shopping bag I was carrying and I wished for dear life that I had one of those rolling bags instead.

I also thought the whole market was spaced nicely. There was not a lot of shoving and pushing (like what we get here in the markets of the Philippines), and you can hear Thai musicians braving the scorching heat just to play soothing Thai music. As for the toilets, well, that's another story. Suffice it to say that you better hold on and endure as much as you can.


Be sure to taste the various street food for sale in street carts there. The fruits are to die for, and I did not even care to ask what I was eating; I was so hungry I wolfed down the first yummies I could see.

As for my haul, *clears throat*, perhaps I will show you what I bought some other time. I died for my jodphur/loose tights (yehey!), bags for friends, and shirts for my brothers.

HOT TIP:

Wear very comfortable shoes, you will be walking for hours. Leave your camera; we spent half a day there and I only managed to take 2 pictures! That is how overwhelming it is. Lastly, take a cab on your way home. Trust me, you would not have the energy to walk up a flight of stairs to go to the Skytrain.

3 comments:

Shop N' Chomp said...

This makes me want to go back to Bangkok BAD! I went with a tour group and they didn't take us here. Wish they did. :(

Kat, thank you for joining my giveaway and good luck! Hope you get that gap dream cologne AND mac187. :)

Kat said...

*crossing fingers with my wishlist* =) And yeah, you should've went to chatuchak, it was heaven! *sigh*

Shop N' Chomp said...

Shopping heaven...yay! Hell for the wallet...nooo! ;)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails